Live. Love. Math.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Axioms of Life

The other day, I was talking with my friend about life. He's been going through a tough time lately and needed some perspective punched into his brain; I got nominated for the job because I apparently give good advice. Who knew?

Anyway, over the course of this discussion, it became apparent that my friend was beating himself up for past actions. He admitted to staying up late, wondering what he did wrong and trying to figure out how to fix things.

Life, however, isn't about living in the past. Yes, you should learn from your past mistakes so that you don't repeat them, but that isn't the same thing as LIVING there, constantly reliving or regretting things until you're driven crazy. You have to let go eventually and live in the present.

This is something that I personally have struggled with a lot. It's really easy to get wrapped up in what was and ignore what is. To this end, I've created some axioms by which to live my life with the goal of making it as uncomplicated as possible. That's not to say it's easy, but following these guidelines has generally made me a better person and drastically increased my happiness quotient.

My axioms may be different from yours; you may have things that you consider important or don't consider one of mine to be valid. That's fine; it's a personal list. Regardless, I encourage you to find your axioms and then orient your actions around fulfilling them. That way, you have your own handy dandy moral compass in list form that you can carry around in your back pocket!! :)

~~~~~

Beccah's Axioms of Life:
1) Know who you are and what you believe.
2) Be honest with everyone.
3) Clear communication can never go wrong.
4) Treat everyone with respect, regardless of who they are, what they look like, or what they believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment